Friday, August 26, 2016

103: Keeping a Rpi Up and On Line!
-- 3 Weeks Later --

What I've learned since this post:
1. When I thought my Pi was down it was only the WIFI that had stopped working (and no blinking of the USB WIFI dongle).
2. The steps I outlined below didn't work, longer term.
3. I swapped my generation 1 Pi B to my new gen 3. Still up: 2 weeks without a failure and without the steps listed below. However, its WIFI dongle is different. I need to swap them to see whether the problem is the dongle.

This didn't help (nor hurt):
I have a Pi powered through UPS that is programed through cron to monitor 2 Particle Photons that are doing real work. But, even though scheduled tasks happen every few minutes the dumb Pi seemed to go off line (sleep?) after a day or so. So I went looking for voodoo incantations to correct this problem. Here are 2 that I tried:

In /etc/kbd/config changed the line--
POWERDOWN_TIME=30 to value 0 (= never)

In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf after [SeatDefaults] added--
xserver-command=X -s 0 -dpms

One (both?) of these seems to have worked. 'No idea which -- or if they are black magic.

Pssst! Linux is a mess.

1 comment:

  1. How to gamble online for real money or for free
    We will 제천 출장안마 show you how 경상남도 출장안마 to bet on real 전주 출장안마 money 강릉 출장안마 or for free online money! We will show you 서울특별 출장샵 how to bet real money or for free online money!

    ReplyDelete